The Kitschen Crockpot

What's that on fire in Flissy's Kitschen?

Friday, February 11, 2005

Hi Sal!

I had a "Now what?" sort of moment this morning. I haven't worked this week. I spent Monday and Tuesday attempting to legally change my name (resulting in fruitless hours at the MVA and a cryptic phone message from the District Courthouse), then Wednesday and Thursday were my domestic duty days. At least I didn't watch the soaps. I had done all the busywork I could do, and so this morning I could actually focus on The Kitschen. Scary! Didn't go in the studio! Didn't know what to make! Too scary to think about what to do next!

So I read. I looked up books about starting a business, about marketing, about the art-making process, then I went to Borders to browse them. I didn't come home with any of the things I thought I would buy.

I'd like to think that I have some sort of special connection to Salvador Dali. His artwork always appears in my life at some creatively ripe moment. Perhaps Dali is just such an art icon that he continues to pop up everywhere, but artists like Andy Warhol and Pablo Picasso are just as pervasive figures, and while I love their work just as much, it never crashes into me like Dali's does. I have a running list I keep of my encounters with the artist, and what is going on in my life at the time. Lo & behold the feature article in ArtNews is Dali: Kitsch or Avante Garde? Coincidence, you may say, but I tell you, Dali is my artist-friend from the undead.

The second item I brought home was Urgent 2nd Class: Creating Curious Collage, Dubious Documents and Other Art from Ephemera by Nick Bantock. If you haven't experienced any of Nick Bantock's books, I encourage you to run out and look at the The Griffin & Sabine Trilogy right away. They are magical and inspirational. I have also read The Artful Dodger, which is a sort of visual autobiography, I suppose. He goes into detail regarding his methods of creating things at various points in his life, but I am very excited to see what he has to say about creativity from the instructional standpoint.

What a serendipitous afternoon it was! I think this weekend I will have to make pieces in honor of two of my favorite artists!

5:43 PM   0 comments


I am an Artist & Maker of Things.
email me.

Flissy's Kitschen

Visit my shop at Etsy!


I'm on MySpace

Chef's Specials
Books to Check Out
Print & Color Affirmations! Fun!

In the Fridge
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006

Art & Small Business Links
Planware
Small Business Administration
US Patent & Trademark Office
Artist Help Network
The Switchboards
Lee Silber

The Kitschen's Favorite Weblogs
AVALANCHE!
Contagious Creativity
Drawn!
Keri Smith
LoobyLu